Home         About Us         Our Pastor         Activities         Calendar         Newsletter         Videos         Contact Us

A Brief Church History

1902-2010

Our church was established in 1902 in Concord, North Carolina, after six men and their families split from Price Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church. The new church was organized as the First Congregational Christian Church.

In 1957, the church, as did other Congregational and Christian churches, merged with the Evangelical and Reformed Churches to form the United Church of Christ denomination. From that point on First Congregational was known as First United Church of Christ.

In the 1990’s, the Church added “Congregational” back to our formal name and installed a replacement cornerstone to the Church, reminding us of both our history and our heritage.

Reverend Edward L. Holloway became our supply pastor in August 2001 and accepted the call to be our minister in March 2002. He was formally installed in July 2002.

The church has strengthened its ties with the local community by volunteering in the Salvation Army's Christmas Drive, donating to local charities and fundraisers, and by supporting the Logan Daycare as well as UNCF. We've joined with a Parish Nurse and formed the Health and Wellness Committee, which has held health screenings/checks, workshops and classes. We are also proud members of the UCC Southern Conference (Western North Carolina Association) and support the national church through offerings such as One Great Hour of Sharing, Neighbors In Need, and Our Church’s Wider Mission.

The world has changed in 108 years, but our future with Christ has not. As we unite together in prayer, in peace, and in love on this special day, we remember that if God is with us, we cannot fail. May we always keep God within our sight as we journey on.



Home         About Us         Our Pastor         Activities         Calendar         Newsletter         Videos         Contact Us